* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



#1601!

Wow, my black fly post was my 1,600th, and I didn't even realize it!  Wow.  One-thousand, six hundred . . . and one . . . posts.  That's a lot - and I'm NOT a post-every-day kinda gal!

So, it's really too bad that this post is going to be so boring!  I just don't feel like I have much interesting to say right now.


My folks came out on Sunday afternoon for a too-short visit.  With other obligations pending, we'd set aside 3 hours, but it was one of those days when those 180 minutes went by in a FLASH, and they were heading back out the driveway before any of us knew it.  My mom brought me four flourishing little lettuce plants that she had started from seed; all different varieties, and Dad insisted on spending some time "doing" for me.  So, I had him split wood and haul it to the house.  It was soooo nice to unload the wheelbarrow today and have a nice little stash in the wood boxes again!


This afternoon, I brought the lawn mower down from its winter storage up by the trapper cabin.  I need to find out what kind of oil it takes.  (Tom?)  I already bought a couple gallons of high-test gasoline for the small engines, so maybe I can get a little mowing done tomorrow - collecting the cuttings to give to the chickens.  I love the enjoyment (and health) that the chickens get from the lawn trimmings, but I really dislike the laboriousness of unhooking, carrying to the chicken yard to empty, and re-attaching the collection bag.  That thing seems to fill up SO quickly!  But, as I said, it's worth it for the birds.


Speaking of birds, I found a dead Americauna hen this morning.  She'd just tipped over after roosting some time last night.  At first, I thought she was one of my favorites (Pearl, one of the only chickens I've named), but she wasn't.  I made a mental note to check my files to find out her age . . . but only just now remembered (and that file isn't on this computer).  I'll try to remember to count tomorrow, but I'm down to something like 9 layers.  Yikes!  I wonder if it will be slim pickin's, egg-wise, come the colder weather of fall and before the new pullets begin laying around October?


Aside from grass finally greening up and needing a trim, nothing much else is happening around ye ol' homestead.  No unusual animal sightings, no pretty blooms popping yet.  Just leaves beginning to uncurl and weeds demanding my limited time.  :)


And financial woes . . . but that's a complaint for another day.  Besides, who wants to end on a down note?  "So, did you hear the one about the dyslexic guy who walked into a bra . . . ?"

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on so many posts! Do you have much grass up there? Sorry about your chicken, although when it's time for me to go, I hope I just "tip over", you make it sound not so bad! Glad you had a good Mother's Day with your mom & dad, I am sure he likes doing stuff for you while he's there. Keep forging ahead, set aside time to worry about the financial stuff, and when your alloted time is up, do something completely unrelated - you can't think about that stuff 24/7 or it will make you crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boring is good in my book! That means there's nothing horrible happening. I'll take boring over crisis any day!! Sorry about your chicken, but I agree with Erin-when my time comes I just want to fall off my roost and be done with it. Since I don't want to end on that morbid thought, here's wishing you a wonderful spring day filled with sunshine and new life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or . . . did ya hear the one about the agnostic, dyslexic insomniac who laid awake at night wondering if there could be a dog?

    HAHAHAHA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A guy walks into a bar with a piece of asphalt under his arm.

    "I'll take a beer and another for the road . . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on #1601 -- that's incredible! I'm up to like, 90. Hmm... so much for me being an over-achiever!!! Sorry to hear about your chicken but as your other wise followers have said, when I go, sign me up for just "tipping over" too. And you, my dear, are never boring. Hang in there about the money woes -- I know what that's about all too well!! Put away the to do's once in a while (cuz as soon as you finish one list, you'll just start another!!) and make time for just YOU!

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!