* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



September 1st

Happy September Morn!

Now the calendar has caught up with the seasonably cool weather we've had this last week or two. There was a frost warning Saturday night, but we didn't even beat the coolest temp we've had yet (38 degrees), so no worries for us. The mercury did drop to 32 degrees where we visited friends northwest of us Sunday . . . but still no signs of actual frost or skim ice on the buckets. Yet.

In the middle of June, I made a post about things that I needed to / wanted to / and should do. For the last couple of days, I've been thinking of revisiting that list to see just what I've accomplished (or not) this summer! And, on a personal level, I think it will help me put a couple of things into perspective . . . things that Tom and I are working on in our marriage. For example, Tom says that I'm the Queen of I'm Gonnas. (And that's very frustrating for him and has actually resulted in a level of mistrust for him of me [in regards to what I say I'm going to do not very often being a dependable statement]). And, he's right. Somehow, the concept of TIME and I just don't get along very well (a direct chip off the ol' block from my Pops), and, as a result, things that I say that 'I'm Gonna' do never actually get done (in the eyes of an organized person, i.e. my husband). Of course, in the eyes of an Organized Chaos person (yours truly), they'll get done . . . in their own time. So, without further ado . . . posted on June 16th (my current comments are in italics):

I need to:
  • Do some Chicken Mama's Graphic & Web Design work. Yes, I've worked on this since then, but only a very, very small fraction of the time I need to in order to 'I'm Gonna Get the Website Up'.

  • Do some of the above - pro bono - for the local art festival. DONE! Yes, the website was updated in time for the 4th of July weekend fair, but it needs to be updated FOLLOWING the fair. You know: taking down the past dates, putting up the new ones, posting pictures from the fair, etc. I haven't done ANY of that. And, I now realize, actively thinking about it, that I'd quickly and easily pushed that to the back of my mind and not given it a 2nd thought since that first weekend of July . . . but now I realize that that's something that SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE right after the festival because it is a representation of the actual fair and the people behind it.

  • Work in the garden (tomatoes, onions, and potatoes need to be planted). I didn't make this a priority. Why? Because the bugs were so bad this summer that I had to be covered in head-to-toe mosquito netting and long pants and shirts . . . which is just too uncomfortable in the hot summer sun. I only got one row of potatoes planted and a small patch of onion sets. The tomatoes made it into the ground, but I haven't done but a portion of a single day's worth of weeding, and now you would be hard-pressed to find the plants among the weeds.
I'll continue this later today, posting what I have finished now. The geese are really hollering out in the poultry yard, so I'd better go see if there's some trouble.

Thanks for reading my mental meanderings.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos to you, m'dear, for a very insightful, honest post, partial though you say it is.

    Looking at oneself with true honesty is very, very difficult. (Don't I know it!)

    Everything okay in the poultry pen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, all was well. Dunno what they were hollering about. No signs of trouble.

    Although, one of my two "pet" mice that I find each morning in the grain barrels (who jump in but can't get back out) was dead. Just lying on his/her belly, eyes slightly closed, no sign of struggle. Do mice ever die of old age? I suppose some MUST, right? But, what a way to go: all the corn he wanted to eat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez, Chicken Mama don't be so hard on yourself. Try taking a look at all the stuff you DO get done in a day, week, month, etc.....
    I have the same problem with "I'm gonna" but it's one of those deals where you start something and then see something else that should probably get done first and before you know it you've got 15 new things added to your list (and I've usually forgotten what it was I was supposed to be doing!) It's so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!