* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Another Glorious Day

"Raindrops on roses,
and whiskers on kittens . . . ."

The rainy, wet, overcast weather started late on Thursday, and the temperature is still in the 40s. And . . . I LOVE IT!!! This is MY kinda weather! Yes, yes, I know: it's not conducive to finishing off any garden crops, but being one who simply cannot tolerate hot weather, I am happy as a clam. :)

It was quite chilly in the house yesterday afternoon, so I made a fire in the sunroom where I knew Tom would want to plop down with a beer and the newspaper when he got home from work. That snap, crackle, and pop accompanied the same sounds coming from the wood cookstove I'd had going all day at the other end of the house in the kitchen.

(There's no rhyme or reason to my ramblings this AM, so I'll apologize now for the lack of segues.)

The chickens are NOT laying well right now. Very aggravating. At first, I'd chalked it up to the heat. They're definitely "northern Minnesota birds" and production always seems to drop in the heat of mid-summer. But, they haven't had that excuse for a couple of weeks now. The only other "obvious" explanation is the addition of the four geese that I inherited from my folks. We introduced Shettie (a poor, temporary name for the Shetland) a while ago. She's now 'Goosy-Gander'. Then, within the past two weeks, we added three Amer
ican Buffs; two females & one male. So, maybe the whole problem with the chickens not laying is the re-structuring of the poultry yard pecking order. ?? Hmph, I dunno. But, heads are gonna roll - quite literally - if things don't change soon!
________________________________

It's 8:43 PM now, and I never had a chance to finish this post this morning . . . but I'll post it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!