* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Snow Removal Progress


On my way to the trapper cabin and the old plow truck, I took this shot of the path I shoveled just 2 days (?) ago to the chicken house. Obviously, once the snow is removed, the ground shows itself to be soft and muddy! (That's Maisy's furry head at the bottom of the shot.)

[I know these pictures are a bit "dull", but it was the only way I could get the snow depth / differentiation to show.]

The first hurdle was getting the old plow truck to start, and . . . it did! (Shee-it: I just looked outside, and it's snowing AGAIN!) Tom came out, ski pole in hand for balance, to see the first attempts (at ignition and then the actual plowing). Anyway, maybe the moral of the story is 'Keep The Vehicle You Got Your First Kiss In'? That truck is a MACHINE today!

Anyway, taking it very small chunks at a time, I've plowed for about 2 hours now and gotten down the trapper cabin driveway and to the chicken house path. Progress! Just came in for a late lunch and now I'm heading out again. There's no hope of clearing out our 4-mile road, but I do want to try to get the 1-Ton and the Yaris unstuck so that when the snow does melt enough for us to just drive out, they'll be available.


Looking from the bottom of the trapper cabin driveway
back up towards it
(you'll be able to see the cabin if you enlarge this shot)
where the main driveway 'Y's either towards
it to the right or to the left and the house.



Same view, slightly difference perspective.

I'd actually come in with the plan that I'd designate 4 hours each day to plowing, but Tom said that would be senseless and only unnecessarily wear and tear down the Suburban. Even at 4 hours a day, it would be upwards of a week (at LEAST - I didn't do the math!) before I'd make it out to the main road. Besides, the snow should (?!!!) be melted down enough before then for us to drive out.


At the 'Y', looking back out down the driveway.

So, now that it's a confirmed thing (us being snowed in), we're taking it in stride. We have plenty of food in the pantry (even if the refrig is fairly bare) and food for all the critters, so here we'll stay! :)

Tom's upstairs lying down waiting for a pain pill to take effect (he'd had a pretty good grimace goin' before I suggested he take one!) and watching 'Atanarjuat' on DVD. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's an incredible movie!

I'm heading back outside to get the truck unstuck (it was a good stopping spot before lunch) and try to plow out the other vehicles. Then I'll spend a little time topping off the water in the batteries for our electrical system. The fun never ends! ;)


Where I stopped with the truck stuck.
The chicken house / yard is just down to the left.

6 comments:

  1. Sure hope you're out by Easter! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I love yours, too! Minnesota has been a bear this winter, hasn't it? We missed the last major blizzard, but I'm sorry to see you didn't. I hope all goes well with your husband's recovery. I'll look forward to reading more about your homesteading and chicken raising adventures! Amy

    p.s. I LOVE IT that you have a Laura Ingalls Wilder quote on your blog! I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Crap! I can't believe how much snow you still have left there--it's like living in the mountains in Colorado or something! I'm hoping you get some sunny days and a warm-up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. April fool indeed!! Glad you have rations but how will you make it until the thaw with no whiskey? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, I just joined a group on Facebook called 'WWLIWD'. 'What Would Laura Ingalls Wilder Do?' I was laughing so hard when I found it! Now I just need a bumper sticker! :)

    Jennifer, thank gawd there's still gin for G & Ts . . . although I drank the last of the tonic last night. And, Tom drank the "special wine" we like to have on hand for unexpected celebrations! What now?! ;)

    Mom, you WILL have wine at Easter, RIGHT?!!! Besides, we'll need it after the 4 1/2 mile walk out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Jenyfer: is your book out on Amazon yet?

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!