* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Attacking the Snow

So, today is Attack The Snow day. We got home from Arizona in the wee hours of Monday morning, and the snowstorm began on Tuesday carrying over into Wednesday. ("Happy April Fool's," Mother Nature said!) If my brain, weary from the 5-day trip home, had been working, I would have headed out with the plow on the 31st. As it was and very unfortunately, the thought didn't even cross my mind! Obviously, I was still on "Arizona time" (and weather!). The result of that is that we are quite completely and in the most old-fashioned sense of the word . . . snowbound.


The kitchen sink window on Tuesday night.


Out the same window Wednesday morning.

Can you find the car?

Now, for me, myself, and I, I would be perfectly happy leaving the situation as it is until the snow melts. I am nearly giddy with the thought that no one can come driving in our driveway unless they're on snowmachine, dogsled, X-C skis, or snowshoe. No, we don't have any milk (but we drink little of it, anyway), and we're almost out of coffee (but there's always tea!) . . . however, I did pour the last of the whisky into my glass last night. HORRORS!

But, the fact remains that my injured hubby is not too comfortable with the fact that we're snowed in. And, with bones in the mangled state that his are, I get it. If he stumbled outside in the snow and went down on his bad side and re-broke anything . . . well, let's just say that we don't have pain pills stronge enough in the house to combat that ensuing pain.

The only problem with tackling the snow today, though, is that I don't know if I will make much headway. First off, this is the most snow we've gotten (at once) all winter, and it's the heaviest, wettest GREASE that you've ever seen. A spring snow, to be sure. Actually, it's called Heart Attack Snow because too much and too active shoveling (of it) has been known to cause some troubles! But, the point is that when we've had snows this deep in the past and they've been cold, fluffy snows, it's been hard enough to push such quantity around with the plows. But this stuff? Yikes.


Shoveling just to get to the 1-Ton.

I tried plowing on Wednesday afternoon, and I did succeed in moving the plow truck and the snow in front of it . . . about 25' feet . . . and then I got it stuck. And, it took about 5 forward-and-backs to get THAT far. So now I need to try to first get the truck unstuck and/or tromp up to the trapper cabin (a feat in itself in this stuff) to get the old plow truck going. Because it's a 1977 vintage, when vehicles were still made out of metal instead of plastic, it's heavier. Plus, it's loaded with sheetrock, another bonus for getting traction. AND, it's got a smaller blade (plow) on it which, in these conditions, will be a benefit over the larger, newer plow (less heavy snow to push in one swipe). However, the plow truck hasn't been started in many weeks, and it has a tendency to not pop right off on occasion. And, with it being up by the trapper cabin where there's no electricity, we can't exactly hook a battery charger up to it. Nor can we drive another vehicle to it to jump it due to the, yep, you guessed it, snow! So, this endeavor will prove interesting.

The distance I made . . . .

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!