* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Timber Tommy

Well, as you can see, I've been playing with the blog format lately - looking for a new one. And, as of this post, I haven't found the perfect one yet. Still working on it. (P.S. I think I've found it - I'm happy with this one.)

Today is a banner day: the first starting up / getting going / use of the sawmill that Tom and a friend built . . . oh, 2 years ago? It's a shared venture: we paid for many of the materials, and the friend built it. But, for now, the mill is living here at Swamp River Ridge.

I can't remember if I wrote about the big spruce we had to cut down in the front yard or if I just posted the video on YouTube. At any rate, that is the tree Tom and my dad are out working on today. We'd thought the tree was hollow given the large crack in the side that caused us to cut it down (before it fell on either the garage or the solar panels), but it's as solid as can be . . . which bodes WELL for producing some good lumber!

The first test section was a 10' length, and they ended up with a rough-cut 5 x 5 . . . as well as some good slabwood for kindling AND some heavy, thick slabwood that can still be milled more for 1xs (1" bys), etc. So, very excited progress around ye ol' homestead! The first "go" at any big project is always the worst (i.e. takes the longest) with the steepest learning curve.

It's a beautiful spring day today - the first of June!! But, horror of horrors (it was only a matter of time), the blackflies came out yesterday. Ala Jack Nicholson in 'The Shining', "They're heeeerrre!"

There have been SO many things going on lately, and I've just been too busy (or tired) to write (as you've noticed). But, this is the big bang-the-drum, give-us-a-drumroll news: Tom has LEFT the Rez! Quit. That's IT! See ya later, buh-bye. He gave his notice on Monday, May 5th, which made his last day Monday, the 19th! I know!!!!!!!! BIG news, huh? ESPECIALLY since he left to . . . start his own business!!!

He and a friend (who is now his business partner in an LLC) are developing what will be an annual event here in our local tourist town: the Ice Film & Book Festival! It will be held the first weekend of each May. The first dates are set for May 1, 2, and 3rd of 2009 - less than 12 months away! Ack!

So, two days after Tom's last day at work, he and L left for Telluride, Colorado to research (i.e. steal as many ideas as possible)
their mountain film festival. And, while ours will be focused on Polar and Arctic regions and the environment, Tom and L both really like the format of the Telluride festival. After being gone six days, they returned in the wee hours of the morn this past Wednesday - chock full of ideas and visions. And now the hard(est) part begins: getting sponsors!

So, that's the biggest news of late. I really MUST get on with my day, but I'll try hard to be back sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!