* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Nothin' Much

Wow, the winds were fierce last night! And I mean FIERCE! Now, anyone who's been up here knows that there's pretty much always wind on top of the ridge, but last night was scary. Like, I-don't-want-to-be-laying-under-this-bedroom-window scary. Freakish. LOTS more leaves are down, and Tom threw the chainsaw into the back of his car for the drive to work (not something most of you need to worry about during your morning commute, huh?).

Speaking of fall and Tom . . . while I was showing him the new work shirts I had ordered for him online at L.L. Bean last night, he saw the (new) house picture on the blog and said, "We need to get an updated fall picture up." Well, that IS the updated fall picture! I took it on Monday. Doesn't look much different from the previous one, does it? But, it's not like the colors of the house change with the colors of the season. ;)

And (another handy segue), the October picture I just posted on our other website, Seasonal Changes at Swamp River Ridge, is the last in the latest 12-month series. So, I need suggestions of what scene to make the next 12-month series! I've thought of a few great shots, but the problem is that the place I choose needs to be accessible year-round by car. The reality of me firing up the snowmobile on each first of the month in the winter (when we don't often use it and it needs prompting and TLC each time) is slim. And, ultimately, it should be somewhere close-by that I can walk to. I had thought of doing a shot of Lake Superior each month, but I would have to make a special 32-mile round-trip drive to do that. And, does that really reflect the seasonal changes up HERE on Swamp River Ridge? So, anyway, please suggest away. A different shot of the river? The view down our driveway? The view from the end of our driveway down our (generally) quiet road? Something up at the Trapper Cabin? You let me know.

My folks came out over the past weekend to help us with a day of woodwork, but we got rained out after one solid load with both the pickup and my dad's high-sided trailer. But, since they'd made the trip out and had expected a full day of work . . . that's exactly what we gave them! ;) Mom helped me sort through and organize some of the stuff we'd hauled home from Tom's folks' house, and Dad helped Tom finish wiring and insulating the large, south wall of his workshop in the garage. They got electrical wire run up through the garage, into the pub, and out the peak of the building, too, so that Tom - during a break in the weather - could finally install the motion-detector light there. And, now that daylight is waning so much earlier, we REALLY need it! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "What a DIFFERENCE the little things make!" Here they are using an OSHA-approved maneuver (ah-hem) during the installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!