* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Independence Day 2007

Tom and I never win anything. Ever. Especially something big.

After coming home from visiting a girlfriend late one night at the end of June, I checked voicemail - as is my general habit (particularly knowing Tom wouldn't have done it after he came in and before he went to bed).

Lo and behold, there was a message from a Girl Scout leader congratulating us on holding the winning ticket for a grill that one of the local lumber yards had donated! "Hmmph," I thought. "Wonder what that's all about?"

I got in bed and whispered to Tom, "You awake?" The response was a noncommittal grunt.

"Did you enter a Girl Scout raffle for a grill?" I whispered.

"Mmmm . . . yeah," was the sleepy reply.

"Is it nice?" I asked.

"Mmmm . . . I dunno. I guess. It cost a buck at work."

"HOW nice do you think it is?" I continue to whisper.

Suddenly awake, Tom asks, "Why? DID I WIN IT?!"

Until Tom went to pick it up, we still had no idea what kind it was. We just assumed - as anyone would who'd bought a grill for the cost of a $1 raffle ticket - that it was a little Smokey Joe or the like. NOT SO! Wow!

So, here's Tom (and Maisy) grilling for the first time with his Big Man Grill. (It even has a rotisserie for chickens . . . just don't tell "the girls" that!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!