* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



26 March 2007

Walking on water . . . .

Here, Maisy and Tucker enjoy the inches of water sitting on top of the frozen river as much as I d0 as we play in the late-day light.

On our way back home, I was hesitant to cross the full width of the river, so I skirted the edge to get up to the bridge and road. Unfortunately, right below the bridge, the river ice was completely gone, and I was left with open water for a step. But, no problem: I could see the river bottom only 6" or so below the surface.

So, ahead I forged!

And . . . SHLOOP! Way down deep into the muddy, mushy, soft-soft-soft river bottom my right foot went . . . the water rising only an inch and a half (but what an important inch and a half!) over my rubber boot! I was stuck. One foot mired in much-deeper-than-expected muck and the other pressing down on tenuous ice. The stuff had me like quicksand, and, for a moment, I thought I'd have to sacrifice my boot. But, with just the "SLURP!" you'd imagine, I pulled it free and was on my way again . . . one foot MUCH colder and wetter than the other!

What's life without a little adventure, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!