* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



29 December 2006

Suddenly having electric light in the kitchen brings back many memories from the fall / early winter of 1983 when we got electricity for the first time in the (what was then considered to be VERY rural) house I grew up in. If I had the picture in hand and my scanner hooked up, I'd post the Polaroid of my mom turning on the light switch next to the front door for the first time! Prior to that, light came from 12-volt batteries, oil lamps, and the (impossibly loud) diesel generator that Dad started up (with no small amount of difficulty, it seemed - especially when it was cold out) one evening each week so that Mom could do the ironing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!