* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne




8 October 2006: On Sunday afternoon, I helped Tom put his kayak up in the rafters of the woodshed for winter storage. (You can see it poking out of the front of the woodshed if you enlarge this picture.) Then, I had one of my (less than?) brilliant ideas.

Tom's been working, for a couple of years, on restoring a beautiful wood canvas canoe. He's traced the origin back to its days as a US Forest Service canoe in the 1930s. Anyway, the point is that the canoe is not yet finished and needs to be protected from the elements. AND, the work that he's done on it so far has produced an absolutely beautiful canoe interior. Enter my suggestion.

"Hey, let's put it in the rafters of the bedroom! It will look gorgeous!"

And, in my defense, it would (and does) look fantastic up there. It's just that, in our excitement to carry out the plan, we didn't really think through how we would CARRY OUT THE PLAN!

Have you ever tried to get an 18-foot (very delicate at this point) canoe up a stairway? A stairway with a 180-degree switchback halfway up? And then down a short hallway and in a bedroom door? Ummm, yeah. Not so easy.

And, what I want to know is . . . where is the additional photographer to commemorate these little spur-of-the-moment ideas when we both have our hands full? (Well, maybe it's just as well that there is no such evidence . . . .)

Anyway, persistence prevailed, and we now have a beautiful canoe resting in the rafters of our bedroom - right over the door and sitting area where a wood fireplace will someday crackle. What could be more perfect?

(Did I mention that once the railings are up on the stairway that there's no way that thing will ever again leave the bedroom, let alone house?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!