* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Drivin' in a Winter Wonderland . . . !

We're in the middle of a good, old-fashioned winter storm! Matter of fact, most of the state of Minnesota is in the middle of a good, old-fashioned winter storm! Things started out fairly weak here today down by the lake: too mild for any real accumulation. But, by mid-afternoon my sixth sense was nagging me and pushing me towards anxiety. The proverbial bulb finally clicked on, and, thinking about "more snow in the higher elevations", I suited up to fire up the plow truck and head up to the property. And, it's a darn good thing I did!

I have never quite been in conditions like I was today! Now, the 20 year history (yikes!) I have with our inherited plow truck has proven to me that that truck goes through just about anything. I've never had to throw it into four-wheel drive. Until today. I was about halfway up the 12 mile main road, battling the snow and slippery conditions underneath, before I finally shifted down into four-wheel drive. The winds and snow accumulation had made the very wide road seem like a cow path, and I couldn't make out exactly where I was on it. I was looking forward to turning off the main road onto our 4-mile road where I thought conditions might be easier. (Ha ha.)

Plowing what I have now come to affectionately refer to as our "winter driveway" proved to be a little more tricky than anticipated. The, again, blowing snow and new snow pretty much obliterated the snowbanks at the side, so I had no guidance as to where I was on the road. Once I got out of the truck up at the property, I estimated the snowfall to be at about 8-10". That was at 4:00, and it's been coming down ever since. Even down here by the lake we have enough now for it to seem like a respectable storm. But, up there, wow! I wish we were living there to be able to play in it! At least we're far enough along that we are now up there on a regular basis to enjoy it!

The snow is supposed to continue through tomorrow. I know I'll head up again to try to stay on top of things. Stay tuned to Winter Life in the Northwoods!

Oh, P.S.: School is cancelled tomorrow (and, for once, it's warranted). But, that doesn't bring the same excitement as it used to for students and teachers alike. The new local administration has (idiotically!) declared that all teachers must be present and accounted for - all day in school - on snow days. Isn't the point of closing school that it's too unsafe to be traveling?! Teachers get the short end of the stick once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!