* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Work Continues -

After a late but yummy, hot, "comfort food" dinner and a glass (or two) of wine I am all ready for bed. But, with my heating pad for company back here in my chilly office I will try to get a little updating done. I am so behind it's ridiculous.
Work-wise, we continue at what we've been doing lately: the battery room for Tom and sanding for me with a little installation of the sanded ship-lap in between.
Weather-wise, Mother Nature is playing her cards. The lakes and rivers started icing up this past week, and there was a massive windstorm like none I've ever seen before to boot. I was up at the property that day (while Tom was in the Cities for work), and the sound of cracking trees and dropping limbs was constant throughout the day. We didn't lose anything around the house or garage, thankfully, but we lost a few trees across the spur driveway that leads to the trapper cabin. A couple of trees went down along the driveway, too, but the real loss was a great big old White Pine just about 100' down the road from the end of our driveway. I was so surprised when I drove home that night that I hadn't heard it go, but then I remembered: when I was having lunch in the trapper cabin (which was just shaking from the force of the wind) I heard two gunshots. It being deer season, that wasn't unusual - but it was fit for neither man nor beast out, and the shots just didn't sound "right". Of course, I later realized that was when the tree went, for the massive trunk had snapped in two spots.
Today we had another fierce windstorm that brought what will probably be the first snows of the season to stay on the ground. When Tom went outside this morning he came back in with this report, "Good thing you didn't park your car in its spot last night!" A large spruce smashed down right between Tom's car and his office: right where my car usually sits. What good luck that I've been too tired to unpack and park my car in its appointed spot these nights! And, miraculously, Tom's car made it without a scratch, too.
Despite the weather and some tense moments when we arrived at the property this morning to find a good portion of the garage filled with windblown snow (over the shiplap I'd already finished sanding) we had a good day that felt profitable. When we left tonight around 7:00 p.m. with the moon shining on the new, crunchy snow the temperature was already down to 24. I called our carpenter when we got home to say, "We need those garage doors installed!" "By Tuesday, " he promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!