* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



A Little Time for a Little Post

Good morning, all!

Let me try to set the stage for you.

Hearing:  the gentle hum of the wall furnace and not enough POP!s from the chimney just to the left of me (which means I snookered the fire I built this morning down too much).  The pings on the metal roof and plops on the leaf-covered ground of rain droplets falling from the trees on this grey, grey morning.  The tick-tock of the bedside clock which sits on the windowsill behind me.

Feeling:  cozy, maybe even a little too warm underneath the three hand-made blankets (two Amish and one Mama Pea) as I sit in bed in the sleeping loft of the little cabin.

Drinking:  dang . . . the LAST sip of my first cup of coffee of the day.

So, since getting the bed installed last . . . Thursday? . . . (pics to follow), I have been staying here at the cabin most "school nights" (nights in between work).  Since Papa Pea was a teacher, the days of the year were always divided into school nights and non-school nights - one requiring a reasonable bedtime, the others a little more negotiable.

It's almost always completely black nighttime by the time I'm settled in each evening, the hour or so previous of twilight (after work and before darkness falls) is taken up with unloading the most recent load at the storage unit just a mile down the road or hauling things up to the cabin.  I can't drive all the way in here, which is actually just fine as it provides more privacy.  I counted the steps one day when I was making a lot of trips up (with the wheelbarrow if there's a lot), and it's just under 90 steps from my parking spot to the door of the cabin.  So, that's what?  Roughly 180 feet?  I'll have to count at Swamp River Ridge, too, but I think the distance I have to walk from the yard to the house is a little less there.  It's uphill all the way in (here at the cabin), and each time my muscles ache, I just think about the work-out that they're getting . . . and feel virtuous.  ;)

When I get in at night, I light a few candles and the two oil lamps.  They provide enough light to get around - actually, enough to "do things" . . . but I'm always so exhausted that I don't think I've spent a single evening sorting through and organizing the mess I've hauled in and dumped.  Last night, I went to bed at 8:30!  That's one "benefit" of no electricity / lights to trick you into thinking it's earlier than it is:  you are forced into listening to what your body's telling you!  As a result of going to bed early, though, I woke up at 5:56 this morning, just four minutes before the alarm.  And, since it was still pretty much pitch black out, I enjoyed the luxury of hitting the snooze button on my Droid (cellphone) and cuddling in until 7:00!

I'm not situated enough yet to do anything more than brush my teeth, wash my face, and get my makeup on here.  (Nor do I think I will have the space until the addition is on to, specifically, be able to wash my hair.)  So, I try to organize things so that I get that done at Swamp River Ridge on the days I'm there . . . or go to my folks' in the evening to take a shower, etc.

There's a really nice, two-burner LP stove top so I can make coffee and heat things up.  But, I've kept the food here to a minimum until I have time to set up a bit more:  so meals have consisted of trips to Subway for take-out, pasta with sauce, beans and . . . whatever, artisan bread with spreads.  

And, with that, I see that my laptop power is almost gone, so I'd better get this posted!

Cheers for now!
 


7 comments:

  1. Sounds comfy! Hope you're doing well there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the oil lamp and quilts sound divine! I know you will make it work, I hope the weather holds out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to think of you settling into your new home. Not everyone would love that rustic setting, but it sounds like it'll be just wonderful, when you get it all sorted out. You're well on your way to making this little house a home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the little cabin came through for you! It will be an adjustment, getting things all settled at Swamp River, and in the new place...but at least you now know where you will be. Hugs and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you will be able to be happy there. I like that you are able to enjoy and appreciate the little things. In the past year, with all that has gone on in my world, sometimes its the little things that keep me going. You inspire me!
    Sweet post. I enjoy reading about your days! Keep on with your positive outlook.
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your little cabin sounds divine. And cozy! Glad you are in it and have lots of privacy! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you join Bubblews,?It would be like you to have a name like "remaneannoyomous" but if you did and want to be invisible that's OK,I;m thinking of chancing my profile to live in USA ,like everyone does.But if you didn't ,I won't invade your privy anymore,at least not today,and if you haven't joined ,as good as you are on the computer ,your missing a ton of easy money,ME,yes ,little OLD me ,has earned onward of appox.$300.00 since labor day when I started,and I still hen peck to type ,think what you could make?

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!