* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



The Gales of . . . September?!

Gordon Lightfoot's "gales of November" came EARLY this year!

I said that Sunday's gusty winds brought the change in weather (and we haven't climbed higher than 37° this morning yet to prove it!), but those gusty winds turned into a howling gale with wind speeds in excess of 50 mph yesterday!


Here's what the lake looked like on my way down to the post office yesterday afternoon. No one but locals and frequent visitors will be able to tell, but that is one FUNKY lookin' Great Lake!

On the up side, we, here at Swamp River Ridge, missed the worst of it. Our highest wind speed was just 34 mph . . . but had it not been for that work day we had with friends a couple of weekends ago to fell all the standing dead around this place, we WOULD have had a lot of damage!

Reports are that the power might be out for another day or two. "Be prepared to have no electrical power until tomorrow," the local power company advises. (Happily for us, when you're already off-grid, you are blissfully unaware when or if the rest of the county is experiencing . . . technical difficulties!)

Tom's work had an employee appreciation party scheduled for yesterday afternoon at 3:00, but they had to cancel it. It was too dangerous to stand outside, and, besides, there was no way the steaks would have stayed on the grill with the insanely strong winds!

(12:09 PM: I've been trying to upload photos for hours, but the satellite Internet reception is sketch, at best. I'll try posting this much now and upload photos as soon as I can.)

Wednesday Update: I'm still having uploading issues . . . which explains the lack of new photos up, but this one FINALLY posted. The shot is taken on the road we used to live on, down by the lake.


For "the locals", this is the parking lot of the old general store / bar.
Highway on your left, I'm looking north.
The old buildings are being ripped down . . .
hence the construction equipment.
The final end of an era!


Again, "for the locals", do you remember the old DNR building that was bought by an architect and remodeled? Well, he now has a new roof adornment!


2 comments:

  1. you have more guts then me I could never live Hope you and tom are both well. Take care

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I can't even imagine winds like that! I'm glad there was no major damage at your place.

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!