What do you hear?
This is what I hear:
- The river a couple of hundred feet below the house . . . burbling over the rocks.
- The slight readjustment as the window frame behind my head creaks and quietly pings with the breeze, the changes in humidity.
- A mosquito . . . dammit!
- The click-click and electric buzz as I turn on my bedside light to find & eradicate said mosquito. Hmm, must be on the outside of the window screen.
- The peepers - my most favorite summertime sound - from down at the river's edge.
- A timber in the house frame cracking as the house settles for the night.
- The quiet, periodic, murmur of my laptop.
- And, from downstairs, the soft aluminum clank of Tucker's tags as he scratches an itch.
Isn't it lovely?