* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



A Birthday!

Yesterday was Tom's birthday! He decided that he wanted to go skiing (downhill), by himself, for the day. He would practice on his borrowed tele(mark) skis and then bring his regular skis with to really hit the slopes in the afternoon. Word is that there are 87 runs open right now on the hill! What a GREAT winter this is!




He got the Stormy Kromer brimless hat he wanted . . . .




And a pair of safety-rated, radio ear muffs for while he's working (chainsawing, using the sawmill, etc.). . . . (Yikes! Looks a little s-t-r-a-n-g-e, doesn't he?!)




And a pair of Filson pants he's long coveted. (They came un-hemmed. Ohhhh, Mom?!)




We were going to go to Thunder Bay tonight for his birthday dinner at Wasabi, our favorite sushi place, but we turned around just a couple miles shy of the border. The roads were TOO bad and only getting worse. And, we were driving the lightweight Yaris. AND we figured we'd pushed our luck with the drive home the OTHER night, so we decided not to test Mother Nature further. A stop at the Trading Post on the Rez for a frozen pizza, and we were home 2 1/2 hours after we'd left. We were disappointed . . . but sensible. We'll try again within the week when the weather is better.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Chainsaw Tommy!

    I like that picture on the wall behind you--is that a painting someone did of your house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, so many people have asked that, and I can't now remember . . . wait, I'll go check my Quicken account, hang on!!

    Well, that didn't help much.

    Doesn't tell me whether I first discovered it before or after I'd designed the house. That's the part that I can't remember for the life of me.

    But, yes, it definitely emulates the look we wanted. I wanted the house to look like a Guinness-drinking northern Brit had built it many, many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HB from your cousin in WI. Hard to believe we are pushing half a century plus, but live goes on. Make sure when you come thru WI that you give us a call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Tom! Hope you had a good time skiing. Maybe you could have ski-ed to Canada for dinner? Or put those sled dogs I've heard rumors of to work ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!