* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Taking Advantage of Weird Weather

Yesterday - being the latest we've ever gone in the fall before firing up the Central Boiler - we finally did just that. With our finished floor of the house being constructed out of a massive concrete slab that had absorbed all of Autumn's chill, the house was COLD! Here's a shot of the thermostat/thermometer registering the house temperature when I turned the system on.


So, for the first time since the weather turned cool, we woke up on a comfortably cozy house this morning. As Tom said over coffee, "It was nice to get out of bed and not get instantly chilled!"

But now here's the weird part. You know how it - invariably - rains if you wash your car? Well, we fired up the Central Boiler . . . and today it's 63°, humid, and BUG-GY!!! What the . . . ?! I wish we had a reader up in Alaska (or anywhere else that it's traditionally buggy) who could tell us if our bumper crop of bugs this summer is an isolated incident or not. This is UNHEARD of, though: bugs in October! ('Course, so is 60 degrees in October!)

I just came in from helping Tom load those two massive 12' timbers into the back of the pickup. They were the ones we'd cut from the tree we had to fell in the front yard - using the sawmill. They were the first version of the front entryway . . . before we decided they made too "rustic" a look and were replaced by the stonework. I don't know why he called me to help, though: with both of us lifting on one end, I couldn't really get a good hold. (The log carrier was buried behind the 14 bales of hay Tom unloaded into the woodshed for me yesterday.)

Okay, I have to go take advantage of the warm weather outside to get some late-season projects done . . . ahead of the rain.

1 comment:

  1. How about letting us see an updated picture of your front entryway stonework? It's going to be so attractive and impressive.

    Mama Pea

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!