* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne

Back in the Boat

I'm back in the proverbial boat, y'all.

Last week, the analogy to my life was this: I was drowning in a choppy sea. I could see someone standing with the life preserver in a boat, but they couldn't throw it. Just . . . a . . . little . . . while . . . longer. I knew they WOULD throw it, and I WOULD make it, but I had to keep bobbing up and down, swallowing water and choking, becoming submerged for a split second here and there . . . before the life preserver would be thrown. On Monday, it was thrown. Today, I am back on the boat and dry. WHEW: what a June it's been!

This past weekend was the annual solstice celebration and huge kick-off-the-summer-season weekend at the local folk school. It was also a time to meet with the year's instructors (upwards of 50) and celebrate the ground breaking for the school's campus expansion. Since Tom is on the board and head of the course (class) committee (I think!), his obligations are big for the weekend. And, last year I got roped into hosting the Instructors' Dinner Saturday night . . . which has now become an annual "Weslie will do it!" (and I have NO idea how!). So, Saturday night culminated with us finally stumbling home at 2:00 AM.

Sunday morning began with serving the Steam Bent Brunch followed by (Tom and me) cleaning up the space the previous night's party was in followed by the groundbreaking and (me serving the) Pie Social followed by . . . collapse. A bunch of us broke out the leftover wine and beer and whatever food we could find (coleslaw and brownies constitute a good meal, don't they?) and just kind of sat and stared. There was no energy left for coherent sentences. I can't remember WHEN I've been so tired on my feet before. Driving home was a struggle (we had two cars in town and so both had to drive), and I stripped my clothes off and fell into bed after telling Tom, "I can't do ANYTHING. You're in charge." I woke up about 3 hours later at 9:00, and couldn't tell if it was morning or night. I was REALLY hoping it was still evening 'cause I still felt so horrible. And, happily, as I figured out that the sun was streaming in from the west and had a rather orange-y tinge to it, it was.

Now, this upcoming weekend is my oldest girlfriend's baby shower, and then the local arts festival will consume us for the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of the 4th of July Weekend. "All" we have to do between now and then is . . . oh, right . . . actually finish MAKING everything we're going to sell! I'll get right on that . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!