* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



27 June 2007

Happy 9th Wedding Anniversary to our good friends who now live in Duluth. The wedding on your beautiful little farm in northwestern Wisconsin seems F-O-R-E-V-E-R ago! (And I still, selfishly, wish you lived out there if for nothing more than us being able to visit you there - what a piece of heaven!) But, life has "gotten in the way", and we don't even see these folks much anymore. Where does the time go? That is the eternal question.

Speaking of time and the fleeting nature of it, I have a short-term goal. I would like to wake up one morning soon - when the alarm goes off at 6:15 (or Tucker "goes off" at 5:15) - and NOT be completely and utterly exhausted. What a way to start the day. I'm getting tired of it (no pun intended).

No matter how we scoff at the theory of life being "slower" in the wintertime when we're in the middle of it, it's true . . . mainly because all the outside tasks are, by necessity, eliminated (landscaping, garden work, etc.) and the early darkness forces you inside at night. And, if you are inside by 4:30 or 5:00, it naturally follows that supper will be earlier, then the evening's activities, and then an earlier bedtime. When it's completely light out until 9:00 and there is still light in the western sky at 10:00 or 10:30 this time of year . . . well, suppertime and then, unfortunately, bedtime get pushed back after VERY full days of work all through the summer season.

Tom and I have both always had a tendency to measure ourselves against the pioneers, and I constantly ask myself why I can't get as much done as (or work as hard as) one of those women would have. But recently, it dawned on me that there's a very simple reason why they died in their 40s and 50s: they were EXHAUSTED! They had no more reserves! They'd been going full-out since they were teenagers, and their bodies (and, perhaps in some cases, their wills) simply gave out. Kaput, that's it. "Stick a fork in me, I'm done."

Point being, I placate myself by reasoning that I want to be around a good deal longer than just 10 or 20 more short years. Therefore, I will try to not beat up on myself for not getting more done (I've - almost - given up on theory of "getting everything done"). That said, I think I'll go take a nap (if I can find the time). ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!