* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



30 April 2007

First off, the most important order of business: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY MOOMA TODAY! I hope she takes the day all for herself and holes up in her quilt studio with a steaming latte and new quilt pattern!

It's a good day to settle down with a project - very grey and a little cool. No rain yet, though, unfortunately - and we're in desperate need of it (again and as usual) since the woods are dangerously tinder-dry.

The weekend weather - especially yesterday - was phenomenal . . . although can one complain about it being TOO windy? ('Cause it really was.) Anyway, the temperature here at the house in the shade topped out at 69 degrees, but, up behind the chicken house - which is more protected - the shaded thermometer read 76 . . . which is definitely what it felt like.

Tom and I spent the ENTIRE day outside yesterday and got oodles done! Tom even got sunburned, and we are both a tad on the sore side today from all the work! We got (Tom got) pretty much the last of the construction mess and basic winter scrap cleaned up. Then, with pick-axe and shovel in hand, Tom dug me 10 large holes (about 18" deep and equally as round) in the appointed spots. Then it was my turn to haul wheelbarrow loads of fresh, black dirt that we'd picked up on Saturday from the local farm where we get our milk, cream, and butter (until we have our own cow!). Add to that composted chicken waste and litter and a bit of wood ash . . . and I had the makings for a good start for the 10 Dolgo Crabapple seedlings I planted!

The only down side to the weekend was a stupid error I made with my computer which truncated (?!) a file . . . rendering the entire machine temporarily useless. So, into the shop it goes tomorrow morning, and I, meanwhile, am trying to limp along on Tom's Mac (a completely new experience for this PC girl!). Unfortunately, so many of the files I need to access are - for the moment - inaccessible. I wonder how the cards will eventually fall when it's all said and done: were computers, ultimately, a help or a hindrance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!