* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Frost on the . . . Windshield

Aaah, steaming hot coffee: nothin' better!

Anyway, this was the first morning Tom had to scrape his windshield before heading off to work. But, the thermometer only reported that we'd gotten down to 36 degrees or so, so . . . ?

(One last bit of business: the reason you're not seeing any photos being posted is because I don't have access to that program on this laptop. Photos will come once the Internet connection is made to my computer in the house.)

So, for everyone keeping track of the progress:

1. Electricity. We're still at just one outlet (much-used) in the house. There are still no light fixtures hung nor light switches installed. At night, an oil lamp on the landing of the 2nd floor lights our way, and flashlights are the name of the game when travelling from dark point A to dark point B in the house. A floor lamp generally lights the room we're in, and an oil lamp lights each room we're in and out of. Although, considering that there is no panelling on the interior walls yet, the electric light casts its glow quite a long ways! ;)

2. Appliances. We have a horribly inefficient "beer fridge" out here in the garage which only keeps things at 53 degrees on warm days and 42 degrees on cool days. So, it's of no help whatsoever when it comes to storing actual, practical groceries (like milk). So, we basically have no refrigeration. We DO have the propane hooked up to the cookstove in the kitchen, so we can heat things on the stove. I haven't quite figured out the pilot light in the oven yet so am hesitant to use it until I find out more. FORTUNATELY, the new, super-efficient major appliances arrive tomorrow from Duluth. Kitchen range (yes, I wanted a second stove in the kitchen), refrig, and upright freezer will be delivered. However, the one thing that I realized this morning when anticipating what all I'd have to move to make a path for the delivery folks to get the big stuff into the kitchen is . . . how do I plug them in when we only have one (much-used, as I said) outlet? Hmmm . . . I'll have to ponder that one (and give our electrician / solar guy a call right away this morning).

We also have the new washer and dryer (arrived last week), but we still need to buy and install the dryer vent before we can use it. The washer is all ready to go but looks like it requires some careful time spent with the manual before starting it up. So, that coupled with the fact that I don't even have a clothesline up outside yet means that I haven't used the washing machine yet. I have, however

(Just to paint you another picture of our interesting new life: yesterday I explained what this little battery / utility room looks like. So, imagine me in here this morning in my bathrobe and a fleece vest with coffee in hand, typing away. A soft "click, click." What was that? "Wa-wa-wa-wa . . . ka-WOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!" The generator just kicked on for the first time - scaring me out of my ever-livin' skin! Good thing I wasn't taking a sip of coffee at the time or it would be all over everything! Ah, yes, life in the woods . . . .)

So, where was I? Oh, yeah, laundry - I was saying that I have, however, had to run a couple of loads through the laundromat in town . . . which I'll do this afternoon again when I head in to take a much-needed (euww!) shower at my folks'.

Water. We have an indoor, fully-functioning toilet which is heaven! We have hot water out of a hose in the downstairs bathroom, and cold water out of a hose in the utility room of the house . . . but not hot and cold at the same time out of the same hose. So, you have to mix the two. And, they share the same hose which requires filling your bucket up with scalding hot water, removing the hose, attaching it to the pressure tank in the utility room and running the cold water into the bucket of hot until you have something you can work with! But, by buying another hose in town today, that inconvenience is something I am going to try to . . . minimize. Then, at least we can leave a hose attached at each water output. Also water related, we don't have a sink anywhere . . . which I really miss. The sinks are ordered, but, in order to get them installed, we have to have the cabinets first . . . which are being made by a gentleman in town . . . but which I haven't blueprinted the designs for yet. So, you see how it goes.

Okay, I'm going to sign off for now 'cause I can't think straight with this (albeit relatively quiet) 5500 monster generator running 3 feet in front of me.

More later from our beautiful mountaintop!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!