* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne




8 May 2006: This is the down side of being a farmer - no matter how "small time" or full-fledged a one you are - butchering. We finally got around to butchering the four extra roosters Monday night. One I had to shoot because he was the one who nested outside high in the trees, and the other three I caught and Tom beheaded. The process goes like this: I catch the chicken and bring him to the chopping block. Then, I hold the body while Tom stretches out the neck. Then, a thank you to the bird and a swift blow. The bodies have to be held down for quite some time because the strong muscles spasm something fierce. That's what I'm doing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!