Yesterday was warm and windy, but today has brought some much-needed rain. When I went out to collect eggs a short time ago we'd gotten just under 1" so far. It seems to be dwindling now, but we're grateful for all that we get!
Because we'll finish the floor of the house before erecting the timberframe, we need something to protect it during the work period. So, I've been advertising on the local web server for carpet remnants. I drove the ol' pickup into town on Wednesday and, with my dad's help (Tom was at work in the Cities), stopped at two homes to take away their trash, as it were.
So then, Maisy and I spent a hot, dirty, sweaty afternoon yesterday unloading the remnants onto the house slab, laying them out to see how much more we'd need, and vacuuming the ones which had just come from a demolition site. (The dog was so much help: lying down on the carpet while I tried to unroll it or straighten it out, etc., etc.) But, I got kind of scared: the house looked awfully small with rugs and a few (outdoor) chairs in it! Furniture fills up a place FAST!
We also FINALLY (yayyy!) met the carpenter out at the property yesterday to look at the garage-to-be! The good news is that he's going to start next week. The bad news is that the slab is 3/4 - 1" sloped, north to south. He'll (the carpenter) have a bit more work to do to bring the frame into level (at our expense, of course). Fortunately, we haven't paid the cement guy yet, so I got a letter out to him today detailing the many inconsistencies that we've discovered in both the garage and house slabs. If it ain't one thing . . . .
But, I also heard from the well driller last night, and he plans on being out next week, too! So, things should be picking up awfully darn quick around here. September's going to be an exciting month!