* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



A Quiet Week . . . Comparatively

With the big machinery having pulled out - at least for now - and Tom away for work, this past week was a fairly quiet one . . . comparatively, anyhow. I'd planned to get great things done, catch up here at home, etc., but that idea unfortunately went the way of all good intentions.

I was in Duluth on Tuesday and then, Wednesday night, we got over 5" of rain. Now, a nice, soaking rain was just what the doctor had ordered to really settle the sand pads for the house and garage, but a gully-washer was another thing entirely. Tom returned home on Thursday, and he and I met in town in the afternoon for a late lunch on his way home. Then, once I was home from my town errands, we made a beeline for the property.

You could see that the pond had actually held about 2' of water . . . but probably only when the rain had been bucketing down. Now all that was left were the muddy rings. There had been a bit of erosion between the cement posts of the solar panels bunks, but, much to our surprise and relief, the house and garage pads were perfectly fine. Obviously, they'd been constructed exactly right by the contractors. Actually, the rain pounded the house pad down a good couple of inches, but that's okay - it's just more solid and compact than ever now.

On Friday Tom and I were both back down to Duluth. Doctor appointments and all that necessary kind of stuff. We had to pick up a 100' roll of 6" drain tile and so, with the car already full from Duluth shopping and 1500' of in-floor heating tube, we had to strap it on the roof. Let me tell you, we looked a little too much like the Clampetts on our way home! All 65 pounds of Maisy had to curl up on my lap for the 20 mile trip home when we picked her up from my folks' because there was nowhere else for her to fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!