* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



SMALLEST EGG EVER LAID!

So, I just went out to collect eggs a short time ago. I was gathering them from the nest boxes when I saw, nestled in amongst the other eggs, what I thought was a large woodchip (I use wood shavings as litter). Lo and behold, it was the tiniest egg I've ever seen come out of a chicken! At 9 weeks of age, I think my pullets are laying - which is INSANE! They usually start laying around 20 weeks! Time will tell whether or not this is a freak accident from one of my three bantams (a chicken about 1/4 - 1/2 the size of a heavy breed) or if, indeed, my chicks are laying . . . but I think it's the latter!

As you can see from the picture I posted, it's about the size of my thumbnail! And, for comparison's sake, the egg in the front right of the picture is a bantam egg . . . with regular, heavy breed eggs behind.

Now we'll just have to see if there's anything in it! (Very often, when birds first start to lay, there is no yolk.) Stay tuned! That's the breaking news from Hastings-on-the-Lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!