* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



She's Gone, Gone, Gone . . . .

"She's gone gone gone,
gone gone gone.
Crying won't bring her back.
The more that I cry,
the faster than train flies
further on down the track."

I've been singing these lines in my head to Lefty Frizzel's 'She's Gone' since last night.  I spent the E-N-T-I-R-E day yesterday combing through this house, from top to bottom, AND the workshop in the garage . . . trying to find that missing audio tape from the library.  And my cellphone cord.  Nada.  Nothin'.  Zip.  Zilch.  They do not EXIST anywhere within the 40 acres of Swamp River Ridge.  

I have looked in jacket pockets.  I have removed cushions from every piece of furniture.  I have lain my head on the dirty floor, shining a flashlight under every appliance, shelf, and stationary object.  I went through the ENTIRE stack of junk, all covered in mouse poop, on the workbench in the garage.  I have looked in every single piece of stereo equipment.  I have sorted through stacks of laundry.  I have looked . . . EVERYWHERE.  E-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.

On the up side, I found (and this is a little scary considering my financially destitute position) $115 in cash stuck here and there in stacks of paperwork and behind the bureau in the bedroom!  Enough to pay the replacement cost ($69) of the audio book.  With a little left over to throw at bills.  And, I did find the book on eBay this morning for only $22.95.  Not the same format (MP3 CD instead of cassette), but I'm going to ask the library if they'll let me replace it that way.  I really have no idea if they'll go for that or not.

So, where are the missing items?  What I'm really afraid of is that, since they're both things I would be hauling between the house and car, that I set them on top of the car one day while either getting ready in the morning or unpacking at the end of the day . . . and they fell off somewhere along the road.  Although, a white cassette tape would surely be spied by someone, right?  And, with the name of the library clearly stamped on it, wouldn't you think they'd return it?  Or, is it (and maybe my cellphone cord) lying amongst the autumn leaves and beer cans in the back of someone's pickup?  (NOT, unfortunately, mine . . . although there are no beer cans in mine!)

I swear, they disappeared so completely that, when I first noticed them missing, I felt like someone was breaking into the house during the day just to screw with my mind!  But, after yesterday, I can unequivocally say that they are not here.

I was SO tired and sore and FILTHY at the end of the day that I took a long shower, made a homemade pizza for dinner and then collapsed.  THAT was my day yesterday.  But, did I succeed in feeling like I'd had a good, solid day by the end of it?  Oh, yes!  I couldn't have looked harder!



I'm going to the library today to finish this mess up, but do YOU have any brilliant ideas of where these items might be hiding?  I swear, I can't think of another place to look!  (Yes, I looked in my office in town, but I'll look again today before going to the library.)


9 comments:

  1. Did you check with The Peanut LOL? I just hate it when stuff like that happens! Or is in in the stereo in Mama & Papa Pea's vehicles? Hmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *DID* leave a cord at Baby Girl's house one day (it was actually the replacement cellphone cord I'd had to buy), but I figured that one out! That's not a bad idea, though, to contact all my "little ones'" families . . . to see if they have anything that doesn't belong to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there would have been any way you would have even brought the wayward item into our house here . . . although I have had my eyes peeled for it! Methinks it either fell out of your car (with all of your ins and outs at various places) or as you say, when loading or unloading your car you placed it on the roof and then failed to retrieve it before driving off. Really strange about the cord going missing, too. If a THIRD item disappears, we may have to call in help . . . of some kind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you check Amazon.com for the cassette version? It might be dirt-cheap. I am convinced that some of us have a black hole/Bermuda Triangle area in our homes that suck objects into the abyss, never to be seen again. Maybe they pop out in China? Hogworts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. my thought went with Erin's but add other people to the list and start calling.MY DAUGHTER LOSES HER CELL PHONE CORD AS OFTEN AS HER KEYS AND i SWEAR ONE OF THESE DAYS i WILL GET HER A BEEPER FOR THOSE I'M TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT LOST KEYS BUT WHAT I'M TRYING TO SPIT OUT IS SHE NEEDS TO CHARGE HER PHONE A LOT SO LOOK IN EVERY OUTLET AND THE OFFICE AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS -NICE LOT ON THE $$ FIND. IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED TO SEE WHAT THE REAL JUDY LOOKS LIKE TOUGH -YOU'LL NEVER KNOW BUT i DID PUT MY GRADUATION PIC. UP AS A FACE BOOK PROFILE -SO IT GIVES YOU A IDEA OF WHO I AM JUST ADD A HUNDRED YEARS GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe a dumb question, but did you check down in the cracks of the truck seats (front and back)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire, I did. But, that reminds me, I found a file (paperwork) of P-Diddy's out in the workshop, I think. Wind turbines, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found my car keys in the freezer once!

    ReplyDelete
  9. is it in the cassette player

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!