* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



A Day Like Any Other

Today's the perfect example of one of those days gone by that there's not much to talk about.  Not much interesting, anyway.

I did chores, I shoveled, I did deskwork, I did laundry.  Blah, blah, blah.  Yadda, yadda, yadda.

But, in a concerted effort to make the mundane at least interesting, here goes nothin':

The geese have been getting a little lippy lately.  Matter of fact, the one Shetland male had such a good hold of the back of my hand a week or so ago that it took me grabbing him by the neck and throwing him across the water pan to make him let loose.  My wise sage of a mother suggested that they were probably getting their dander up (ganders with danders?!) due to it approaching nesting season.

Welllllllll, wouldn't you know & sure enough:  last Saturday brought the arrival of the first 2010 goose egg!

The gal who laid it made like she wanted to go broody and set on it, so I left her to it.  (But not before taking some pictures.)
 
It looks like everyone has a vested interest, doesn't it, the way they're crowded around?

The next time I went out into the poultry yard, though, both she and the egg were gone from their cave.  Dammit - a raven had gotten a GOOD Saturday meal.

This morning, though, there was another . . . and no one hanging around acting broody!  When I have a surplus, I'm able to get $1 a piece for these babies because they're so huge & rich (and, let's face it, kinda cool).  But, this one was all mine.  BIG, ain't it?  

Into the Oatmeal Raisin cookie dough it went, replacing the 2 eggs the recipe called for.  That's a big YOLK, too, huh??

Finally, we'll finish our tour of the poultry yard with this shot of a goose (coulda been the goose who laid the golden egg) who'd just taken a refreshing snow bath.  I like that she still has flakes shimmering on her feathers.
I took some pictures of Turkey Durk "non-fluffed" when I went out to put him inside the chicken house tonight.  I'll have those to show you tomorrow.  It's 2 below right now, so he'll be happy that I insisted he spend the night indoors.

And, a final weather note:  the sun makes S-U-C-H a difference right now!  Case in point:  it was just 14 degrees when I was out shoveling today, but the sun was so warming that I had my jacket off by the time I was halfway done!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a big egg! I will admit I have never had a duck egg, is there a flavor difference? I do know that I do not like duck meat, it's a little rich and fatty for me. That's an excellent price to be getting for an egg, is there a large market for that? I do know, however, that farm fresh eggs rock the hell out of the store bought, I always cringe when I have to use store bought! The duck in the snow is gorgeous. Can't wait to see this Turkey who beat the crap out of you the other night, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same question as Erin about those goose eggs and their flavor. I imagine it's much more challenging collecting eggs from the geese than the chickens?

    ReplyDelete

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!