* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Support a Worthy Cause

Here you see Don, our dear friend (and Best Man). He and his lovely wife are the folks hosting us out here in Sedona while we (or, rather, Tom) convalesce(s).


Don has run over 70 marathons, many of them side-by-side with Tom, and now he's (very) into road biking.



He and his wife left Sedona for San Diego yesterday and today they embarked on a ~3,110 mile solo cross-country journey from California to Florida. P will be his support team, packing up their camp site or motel room each morning, checking with him as she passes him on the road, setting up house at that evening's camp or motel, and then - most days - biking back to meet him for the last couple miles of the day's journey. He's really going to push it for the first 9 days, hoping to cover about 940 miles. (So they can be at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico in time for P to run the 15.2 mile Bataan Memorial Death March.)


"Why?!" you might ask!

Well, they're very involved in their church and, through that, Young Life - a nation-wide group that helps kids connect with their community. (A very generalized description based on my very limited understanding of the program. Just believe me when I say that it's a great thing to support!) Anyway, Don is doing this cross-country bike ride to raise money and awareness for Young Life with only his wife as his "crew". It's no small endeavor, that's for sure!

In the time that I've been here since flying in a week ago tonight (Tom's accident was on the 11th), I've been able to put together a blog / website (click here) for Don to keep his followers updated along the way. There you'll find a place to donate to the cause, too, if you're so inclined. I think the blog will really help spread the word about his adventure, and I felt like it was something tangible I could do to say, in some small way, thank you for all they've done for us during our stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!