To tempt Fate or not to tempt Fate? That is the question.
We got (some of) the predicted storm (NOT "upwards of a foot and a half" but more like 8-12"), and I need to go to town today. That means that I need to plow the 4 miles out to the road. And, today is December 15th.
Don't get the correlation?
Well, for the past two years, I have needed to plow on December 15th. And, for the past two years while plowing on December 15th, I have gotten irrevocably STUCK.
So, my plan is this: wait until the last possible minute this afternoon before I head out. That way, my chances of the guys (who are logging behind the Trapper Cabin) coming out - and plowing with the commercial grader they have parked at the end of our winter driveway - is greatest. Do I have any indications that they WILL work today? Nope. But, a girl can always hope.
And, if it (the plowing) IS up to me, I'll just aim for the middle of the road, and hope for the best! (Oh, and pack a couple of shovels and dress REALLY warmly!) We've got high winds that started last night, and cold temps. It's -5.1° as I type with 31 mph wind gusts. That makes for a -26° wind chill. But, I'll take that ANY DAY over 90° summer heat! (Can you tell: I'm a wintertime girl?)
An afterthought: I just realized that - no matter what (even if I didn't need to go to town today) - I HAVE to plow . . . if I want my husband home tonight! He was on his way home from Minneapolis yesterday and had to stop for the afternoon and night in Hinckley (about 1 1/2 - 2 hours north of the Cities) due to the weather. Even with snow tires on it, the Yaris ain't gonna be blastin' through the hard-scrubbed drifts that are out there now!
I took this Friday morning out the kitchen window. -16°!
And, this was that same morning on my way to work. The moon was HUGE, bright, and beautiful!