* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Changing of the Guard

Tom and I experienced a rhetorical Changing of the Guard last night, although it wasn't a particularly terrific one . . . for him. I am FINALLY coming out of this horrible crud that has kept me sick since October 18th (one week sick, one week healthy [or so I thought], one week r-e-a-l-l-y sick). But he, now seeing that I can take over the homestead responsibilities for the both of us, has gone d-o-w-n. Fortunately for him, when he's sick, he can sleep (I can't). So, he generally recovers faster than I can in the same situation. Let's hope it's the case this time, anyway.

Even though the dusting of snow for opener* this morning is the perfect opportunity to get outside, Tom's comment of just an hour or so ago of, "I'm gonna go lie down. And find my gun," had me plenty worried! ;) Somehow, those two things just shouldn't be uttered together! So, I just poured some cough syrup down his throat, and he's nestled in the sick bed upstairs. I, meanwhile, will bundle up and head outside to get chores done (albeit late). Tag, I'm it!

* Around "these here parts", there are only two things that the word 'opener' can refer to: fishing opener in May and deer (rifle) season in November. Growing up in the southwestern Minnesota corn belt, Tom was always an avid hunter . . . bow and arrow, primarily. Living a fairly urban life for 20+ years in The Cities put all of that on the back burner. But now, he's gone hunting two years since we moved up here in 2000, but never "seriously". (And, not so coincidentally, he never bagged a deer.) But now, this year, he was (is) going "to hunt". So, of course, he's sick. But, there's plenty of time, so I know he'll get out. With prices (of EVERYTHING) the way they are right now, we're hoping to put enough venison in the freezer both for us (even though we're not huge meat eaters) AND for the dogs (and Annie Blue) to eat very well for the next year. With dog food at $50 a bag, the little bit of work to chop venison up for them each morning will be time WELL spent (not to mention even healthier for them!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!