* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Labor Day

Happy Labor Day, everyone!

To celebrate the holiday, I am taking the day OFF. O-f-f: off. Mind you, this is not an easy thing for me to do. Everywhere I go, I am surrounded by Things To Do. So, I am making a conscious effort to do ONLY THAT WHICH I WANT!

What have I done so far?
  • Slept in until 10:30. Aaaaah, bliss.
  • Talked to a girlfriend for about 5 minutes squeezed into four phone calls . . . after which we gave up (apparently the phone problem is not fixed).
  • Complained about the sticky humidity we have today.
  • Sat here at my desk doing "want to do" deskwork instead of "have to do" deskwork.
Such is my day so far.

Tom has taken the day "off", too. But, all that means is that he's not getting paid for the work he's doing! ;) He's been outside since rising this morning (he also enjoyed a lie-in) working on the 2nd side of the front gateway. I wrote about it the other day but never got the post published. But, this is what I said (and here's a picture I took this morning):

Tom spent the day getting the form for the new front entrance / gateway built. It's 16' long with four foot long sections in six inch increments . . . dropping from 48" to 42" to 36" to 30". That's the side he made today. The other side will be 12' long, dropping from 4' tall to 36" tall. I'll take pictures soon so that you can see what I mean. The timbers that we cut from the big tree we felled just created too rustic of a look, and it doesn't "go" with the house. But these, which will next be covered with the same rock as we put on the house, should emulate the look we were going for in the house. Ultimately, we want this gateway to look like a natural stone fence nestled between the fields in northern England or Scotland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!