* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Still Pretty Slow

Today marks 6 days since surgery, and I'm still movin' pretty slowly. It's hard to "justify" the pain and soreness and the fact that I DO still need to take it easy when there is no major scar. I mean, big scar = big surgery, right? Three little scars mean . . . well, that I should be feeling better by now! Ah, the psychological trickery of it all.

Last night I made it nearly 12 hours between pain meds which was good . . . but it also meant that I was 8 hours "behind the pain" when the alarm went off this morning. Not good. I couldn't even make it through cleaning one dozen eggs for Tom to deliver this morning before I had to crawl back into bed with the heating pad to wait for the medication to kick in. And, it top it off, I'm fighting a fever and upper respiratory infection (okay, so it's a cold). Kind of a "kick me when I'm down" addition to the surgery recovery. But, I just keep telling myself that each day should bring improvement . . . and to wisely tread that fine line between not staying in bed all day vs. being up and over-doing it.

My sleep night-before-last was interrupted when I got up at 4:30 to take pain meds and tried to turn on the bedside lamp. Click. Nothing. Click, click. Nothing. Clickclickclickclickclick! Shit. The power's out. So, in -15 degree weather, Tom and I bundled up and trudged out to the garage to check out the situation. The inverter had turned off because the batteries were too low . . . because the generator hadn't turned on automatically when it should have. Without too much ado, we got the generator running and the inverter charging and the power back up . . . but we're still not sure the system is running 100% automatically again. More of a wait and see game . . . . THANK GOODNESS that didn't happen when my mom was staying here at the house during our Minneapolis / hospital stay last week!

Before my surgery, Tom and I had run the pickup / plow truck down to Superior, Wisconsin to the transmission place. Yep, major transmission failure. But, it's fixed now, and we had them doctor it up and put heavy-duty parts in it . . . given the kind of paces we put it through plowing in the winter. Tom and my dad are thinking of running down this weekend to get it. Then, we'll get the ABS recall taken care of at the local Chevy dealership, and we should almost have a new truck by the time it's all done! And, I'll have reliable wheels again . . . now that Tom's adopted my little car (the Subaru Forester).

Okay, that's about it for my energy this morning. Enjoy the day. (Did you all catch the pretty lunar eclipse last night?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!