* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Monday Morning Check-In

Well, by 8:30 this morning I had already scrubbed Tucker free of the fresh poop he had found somewhere outside and rolled in . . . and then cleaned up his breakfast that he threw up right after I'd divested him of the poo. Mind you, they never vomit on the bare floor, do they? It always has to be on the carpet! Kinda like dropped toast always lands butter-side-down. Although, I'd much rather clean up buttered toast than . . . well, enough said. Happy Monday to me!

The rain has finally subsided, but we got about 4 1/2 inches within a week. Then, last Thursday, the winds came. So, combine mushy wet ground with high winds, and the result is trees down - pushed over or pulled up at the roots.

This one - one of the standing dead we had marked for firewood - broke off and landed at the intersection of the driveways to the house and the Trapper Cabin.








This one proved to be more of a problem since Tom couldn't (obviously) drive around it to get in when he came home from work. Since the winds began, he's been driving to work with a chainsaw in the back of the car again . . . something necessary when traversing these roads. (Main roads to us, but "back roads" to the majority.) My folks lost a big tree that landed on their back shed, but - with the truck in 4-wheel drive and my dad shouting, "Go!" to my mom on Saturday, they got it pulled off without damage (we think). None of us has been brave enough to walk up to our little Hafweh Haus to see if any (of the million) trees (surrounding it) have fallen on it. For all we know, a poplar could be smashed through one of the nine windows as I write. Next time one of us is in town, we'll check (although I also have a sneaky feeling that my folks will check after reading this). Cross your fingers for us!

One of our dear friends is (re)opening the local general store . . . on a MUCH better, previously-unmatched level. Tom went down on Saturday morning (as did my dad) to help move some of the massive coolers and display cases back inside now that the commercial-grade floor has been put in. They're hoping for a November opening, but I know she's hit some unexpected snags (state requirements / inspections, etc.) along the way that may postpone things. But, already the locals are getting restless - craving the good, home-cooked meals with a glass of wine that her establishment will provide!

More later. My day is calling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!