* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



29 April 2007

Question: What's a pond without water in it?

Answer: Nothing but a big, ugly, depressing hole!

Earlier this spring, when the snow was melting, the water level in the pond got to within two feet of the top, and I was ecstatic! Then, it started dropping. And dropping. And dropping. Now, there's nothing left but a dry, sad hole holding last fall's leaves.

I was sure that the clay we lined it with would hold up, but it was obviously just too thin in (many?) spots. So, now we're back to the drawing board. We could line it with more clay, but then the same risk exists. Another option is buying a thick, plastic pond liner. Since we're thinking about going that route, that's why you see Tom here with the measuring tape. (And, for those interested, the pond is about 50' wide at the widest spot and 100' long at the longest point.)

I'm glad I put off building the duck house (which is going to sit on the edge of the pond) and buying the ducks this spring . . . they wouldn't have had much of a pond to live on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!