* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Painful But Practical

Painful - The alarm went off yesterday morning at 4:00 AM. (On purpose.) Tom had a conference in Duluth that began at 8:00, and it's a 3-hour drive for us now. And, he wanted to give himself a little extra time, the deer being dangerously thick right now and on-the-move now that the bucks are in rut.

Practical - I left with him at 4:45 to be dropped off at our mechanic's (half an hour away) to pick up the old plow truck and drive it home. When we tried to put the plow on a couple of weeks ago when that early snowstorm was predicted, we found out that the plow motor was shot.

So, it was an eeeearly morning! Ouch! (And a full day for Tom - he arrived home at 9:30 last night.)

Yesterday the fellows who shingled the garage roof back in April returned to side the garage and shingle the woodshed. Progress, progress! That said, I will still be glad when we have the place to ourselves again. More so regarding the masons more than anything. Having someone pounding and scraping on the sides of the house every single day - while I'm trying to think and get work done inside - gets old REALLY quickly (and it's day 12 of it today with many more days to go).

Other than that, there's not much to report. Oh! My upright freezer FINALLY arrived on Wednesday so I was able to go to our friends' house and empty their chest freezer which was - SO kindly - storing most of our frozen foods since we moved on September 15th! I'd been feeling EXTREMELY bad about that! I still have a small portion stored at my folks', too, and I'll pick that up the next time I'm in town.

We said goodbye to our seasonal neighbors from down at the old place Wednesday night. It was their last trip up for the year. Each year we get closer to them, and each year it's harder to say goodbye. :( And, they dropped the bombshell Wednesday that they're giving some thought to selling the place. I can't imagine what it would be like up here without them . . . .

Egg production has nearly dropped off the face of the earth which ain't good for Chicken Mama's Organic Eggs sales! But, it's not much of a surprise, and this is why I purchased so many chicks this summer. The old gals just don't have the production anymore, and that, combined with the massive reduction in daylight at this time of year, has caused the problems. I know I'll be swimming in eggs once the pullets start laying (in December or so), but, until then, sales are minimal.

So, that's the news from here! I need to go attack the dishes . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!