* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Back Online!

Welcome back!

Computers never crash at a "convenient" time, do they? Oh, well . . . .

SO much has been happening since my last proper update. The big news, locally, is still the fire which is very scary. At last count (yesterday morning) it was up to 22,800 acres. No buildings have yet been lost - or even in immediate, immediate danger, but the fire is only 2 miles from them . . . close enough to be there NOW should the wind blow up in that direction. And, that's been the problem: the wind. And the hot, dry temperatures. It has really been ideal, unfortunately, for wildfires.
Just yesterday they posted that the fire is now considered to be 10% contained, but that's questionable, I think. Local word is that only the snow will put this one out in the fall. (But let's hope they're very wrong!) The problem with fighting it, too, is that it's almost all in the BWCA - where, because it's a designated wilderness area, no chemicals, etc. can be used. So, only water can be dumped on it - no fire retardants. But, ground crews are now in on it and trying to maintain the line between the fire and residences. The other 3 sides of the fire are being allowed to burn uncontrolled. Which, ultimately, IS a good thing because it's in the area where we had the horrible storm in 1999 and there is so much blowdown. "Cleaning" that up and regenerating the forest is just what Mother Nature has ordered (and, obviously, delivered). But, keeping the side in check that borders roads and homes is the concern.
Also, the ash and smoke have been real issues. The smell is horrible. It doesn't smell like a toasty campfire at all. Last Monday, the smoke was so thick when I was nannying that you couldn't even see the sun. It was so bad that I couldn't take my little charge outside, and I had to close the house up tight. I'd left my car windows open, and, when I got into it that afternoon, my car was full of ash. And, that's 50 miles away, as the crow flies, from the fire! Even up at our property there are days when all the air is tinged orange from the smoke in front of the sun . . . and that smell! I selfishly hope they get it out for nothing more than that little reason!
But, today is the first cool day we've had in weeks, and there's no wind. In addition, the slightest bit of precip is falling. Not enough to do any real good, but today's weather is definitely not adding to the problem - a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!