* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



The Flu

Taking my own advice recently given to friends about their blog - to please update it - here I am. Besides, the plugged sinuses and headache in my head coupled with the loginess of my brain can't really handle the other task at hand: bill paying and budgeting.
So, we have been infected by the flu bug. We had relatives coming into town this past Thursday for the weekend, and we hadn't seen them since our wedding 6 years ago. On their drive up from flying into Minneapolis on Thursday - and on her 50th birthday - the flu hit her. So, while her husband had a "good" weekend taking off lots of time and catching up on his reading, we didn't get to see them until Sunday! And, she certainly didn't have the birthday celebration / visiting family vacation she'd planned on!
Meanwhile, Tom was hit by the nasty bug at - precisely - 3:00 a.m. in his motel room Friday morning. It progressed during the day, and, by the time he got home about 6:30 that night, he was shaking so hard with the chills that he could hardly walk from the car to the house (needless to say, I was a bit cross with him for pushing it to that extent). Because the relatives were flying back down to the Motherland (Illinois for both sides of my family) on Monday, our last (and first) chance to see them was Sunday. So, Tom pushing it, we finally did get all together and had a terrific visit. We even got my folks out to dinner that night! But, by that time, Tom was done for, and I was fading fast.
Fast forward past most of the yuck to today where we are still recovering but under the weather. The relatives are back at home - only to be greeted by the news that Uncle (94 years old), her father, fell and broke his hip. Tom is sleeping as I write. My bug has been reduced to nothing more than a good, nose-running, eyes-watering, ears-plugged old fashioned cold. Blech. Why do we never really appreciate feeling good when we do?
[For those of you following the Seasonal Changes at Swamp River blog, I will update it tonight, too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!