I took the time this morning - before going up to work at the property - to write a nice little entry (20 minutes worth, actually) about the crackling morning fire in the stove, the heavy frost on the proverbial pumpkin, and our latest construction decisions. Then I hit the 'Publish Post' button, and POOF! it was gone into the world of lost Internet communications. So, back to square one.
I am a bit more sore than I'd like to admit and very tired tonight. Over the course of yesterday afternoon and this morning I moved about 4,500 board feet of shiplap in 14 and 16' lengths. When it had been delivered this summer we put it right in front of where the outside Central Boiler (that will provide all our heat and hot water) would go . . . thinking we'd have it used and/or dealt with FAR before delivery of the furnace. But, of course, not so. And, with the Central Boiler being delivered this morning, something needed to be done - post-haste. I have to admit that I let out a bit of a war-whoop when the last piece was stacked. That's a lotta wood!
As the title to this journal entry suggests, we've been doing a bit of decision-making lately. We've come to a crossroads regarding the construction process - a crossroads brought about mostly by the combination of impending winter weather and the delays in delivery of certain items crucial to getting moved in this winter - like windows and exterior doors! (The latter not being promised until around - yikes! - November 28th.) We finally realized that even if we did manage to get the house enclosed and enough infrastructure in place, it would still be pretty sparse living this winter. So, instead of killing ourselves and maybe still not even reaching our goal, we are going to stay here at Hastings-on-the-Lake this winter and fix it up to be ready to go on the market right away in the spring. And, in these last weeks before the weather really hits, we are going to focus on enclosing the house and garage. Then, instead of worrying about plowing the road this winter, we will snowmobile in on the weekends and putter. We can enclose one room in either the garage or house at a time with heavy plastic, get a space heater going, and insulate or panel or whatever to our hearts' content!
There's certainly some disappointment in simply not BEING there this winter, but there's also comfort in having made a decision and knowing what the next few months will bring. So, that's the latest from our end. Those of you with New Year's Eve reservations will have to take a raincheck. ;)