So the garage crew showed up bright and early a week ago yesterday and got right to work! Unfortunately, they spent about half the day that they otherwise would have spent moving forward compensating for the unbelievably wavy slab. Each upright exterior wall stud had to be adjusted -9/16" here and then +1/8" only 16" away. And, it continued like that around the entire perimeter. However, since then, we have gotten the slab contractor to agree to compensate us for this extra time spent by the carpenter making up for his mistakes, so that's something.
At the end of the day on Friday we had three garage walls almost up, and, holy man, was that exciting! Except . . . the space did look dangerously small for all that I'd crammed into those plans!
One guy on the crew was staying nearby Friday night and so said that he would work a couple of hours Saturday morning. Tom stayed overnight at the trapper cabin and then helped in the morning. They got as far as they could without the boss-man. (That would be the boss-man, who, not incidentally, had agreed to work all day the following Monday, Labor Day, if this same fellow would be there to help him! Wow! Fantastic!) But, stay tuned.
Sunday was a gorgeous day, and we'd make plans with friends to meet for brunch at the local lodge on the big lake for their famous Sunday Brunch (those of you who were at our wedding reception will remember staying there and all the amazing grub we ate that weekend!). After so much good food and soaking up the sun on the beach afterwards, Tom and I were hard-pressed to start the hideous job of pulling the BIG section of inflexible Thermopex through the draintile under the garage. Oh, but perhaps I should back-track . . . .
After the dissection of the Thermopex on our last go-round of trying to snake it through the draintile underneath the slab from the Central Boiler to the garage, it did (with no small amount of pushing and pulling) come right up that last 90 degree corner into what will be the utility room of the garage. So, we did eventually achieve success with that project. Next, of course, was the much longer route through yet another 6" draintile that just so happened to have at least two S-curves in it.
But, I'm fading, so I will have to keep you in suspense until tomorrow.