* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Anticipating Frost on the Pumpkin

As the mercury slides lower towards the first frost of fall down here by the lake tonight, pure exhaustion is the overwhelming feeling of the day. Tom and I have been going non-stop since I last updated you all on our activities.
Last Friday heralded the arrival of the remaining timbers and our 2-man timberframe crew who would soon become fixtures at Swamp River Ridge. A very important aspect of the second half of our house timbers was the 80+ knee braces. Knee braces are what are mortise-and-tenoned in at a 45 degree angle to create the support and pressure between a vertical post and horizontal beam. The poor guy who was set to knee brace detail will probably rue the day he signed on for this gig - today was the first day he'd been out of the veritable cave that the garage has become. Up until this morning, he's been champhering and sanding knee braces for 5 days straight!
I spent a good portion of Friday building the template - 5 feet across at the widest point - I would need for the surprise I'd secretly designed for Tom. Cutting the (look-a-like) tiles into the house floor/slab was on the docket for Saturday, and I had a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!