* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Nothin' Much Going On

Things have been pretty quiet lately. This weekend past was the big annual end-of-summer celebration in town, and Tom ran the trail run (5k or 5 miles, I forget) which is held on some of the local cross-country ski trails. He had a good time but tweaked his back (which has been argumentative lately) on one of the last hills and had to limp in. No winner's medal for him that day, unfortunately. But, two members of our favorite family of friends did win their age categories - grandpa and granddaughter both walked away victorious!

I meanwhile, was laying low at home - feeling uncomfortably flu-like. I think it was my body's way of saying, "You're going to take a break whether you like it or not . . . NOW!"

But, we had a fun day in town on Sunday with our friends. We watched the parade, ate the requisite fresh fish burgers (2 or 3 or 5!), and had a great, relaxing afternoon and evening.

Tom's gotten some progress done on the trail we put in from our property down to the river which is the border with Canada. We hadn't been down it since fishing opener, and the scrub and saplings had taken over. It's amazing how quickly the forest reclaims itself!

I, meanwhile, have been working on the SIPs - slowly but surely. I had all the window and door placements done on the north and south sides of the house and was just starting the west end . . . when I realized that all those measurements were for wood windows. And we had decided to go with wood-clad windows . . . which are a different size. I could have died. So, I have to redo ALL 21 of those windows and doors and measurements. But, I guess it's "thank goodness" that I realized it before I had the entire house done and sent off! (Grrrr.)

Weather-wise, it's still been dreadfully hot and humid. M-I-S-E-R-A-B-L-E. No one sleeps well at night, we're all crabby, and it's just not fun. Keep in mind that, up here, no one has air conditioning 'cause it's never this hot for so long! And, the minute the weather breaks and we think a reprieve is coming, the mercury goes right back up.

The next door neighbors' well went dry last week, so we've been watching our water usage, too. We need rain SO badly. We did have a small amount go through this morning, and it is still overcast now, so that helps. There's a forest fire of around 500 acres on the north end of the county. Without any appreciable rain, it's getting to be that fire-watch time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!