* * * * * * *

"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."
- Unknown

"That which does not kill you, makes you stronger."
- Handed down through the ages.

"Life's tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid."
- John Wayne



Eggs for Veggies, Eggs for Bread

I just finished cleaning and packing the day's eggs and, as I did, I marveled at the wonderful community we have here. It's a community where I can barter with fellow gardeners, farmers, and bakers with my eggs or Tom's hard-earned pennies. Of the six families I supply eggs for (besides our own), two now trade goods for them. One gives me veggies from the huge organic garden she grows and another loaves of her fresh, ever-so-tender, homemade bread. Until we are settled in the house, I just can't (find the time to) make bread, and so this makes a perfect trade for both of us! Couple that with the straight-from-the-cow milk we pick up at a local farm, and the result is that much of our food comes straight from the source. Doesn't get much better than that, does it?!

The five new "Tex Mix" chicks have gotten pretty boisterous and are fully feathered out now so I left their brooder (which sits in the chicken house) open today. One ventured all the way outside (the chicken house) fairly quickly and seemed to have a rather intense "big, scary world" first experience. Two hours later he/she was desperately trying to figure out how to get back inside. I carried him/her in . . . where he/she stayed for the rest of the day (and advised his/her broodmates to do the same!). Tonight 3 of them are roosting with the rest of the chickens and the other 2 are roosting on the edge of their brooder.

Tom's home tonight from another stint in the Cities for work. He brought home our new generator for the electrical / solar system. They put it into his car with a forklift, so we're not quite sure how we're going to get it OUT by ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are familiar with me and where I live, please respect my right to retain some anonymity by not referring to me by anything other than Chicken Mama nor mentioning city/town/villages by place names. Thanks!